transition.

Swirling constantly goes the mind
So much to juggle and so many decisions to be made
Shelves are empty and china dishes are packed
Blink back the tears that spring forth
a box that brings memories.
0-3,3-6,6-9 month. Pink. Soft.

HIS words... put your hand to the plow and don't look back.
But it's not the sadness I hear Him gently speaking to
It's the debilitating grief.

"Don't look back," I say to myself.
The boxes stack up in front of me and help me focus
Focus on the future.
But every few weeks without prompting
my heart aches still.
Sometimes the cardboard box that says Pampers
sometimes the empty guest room
"Don't look back," I repeat.

Slowly, the pictures were taken down from the wall
slowly, ever so slowly, I allowed myself to wonder:
Will this go back up in my new home?
So much ahead... but that doll in the laundry basket of baby clothes
The bottles and pacifiers...
"Don't look back."

It seems harder this time around
No more memories of her in the new house -
she wasn't there.
She didn't sleep there; eat there; or learn to sit up on her own
but she did here.
So much to remember; so much to miss
"Don't look back," I plead with myself.

Oh, baby girl. I miss you.




Comments

  1. Oh, Beans, I love you. I know what it's like to leave memories behind forever, but I DON'T know what it's like to realize there aren't going to be new ones (with her.) I imagine, and I can see myself just stopping. Debilitating, like you said. Part of me would curl up in a ball and scream.

    I'm so, so glad for a Father of Comfort, and I'm so proud of you for hiding yourself in Him, rather than in a distant corner somewhere. I love you so much.

    I can't wait for heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite possibly the most precious photo I have ever seen. Ever. And thank you for sharing these words, Carina. You're loved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts