the young [the old, the in-between] and the restless.

Today was one of those days... one of those days. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed (and perhaps I went to bed on the wrong side too - thats just how off I feel). If I could say something corny like, "My universe felt off balance" than I would.

My first client was 20 minutes late because she lost her keys. Yes, it happens. I understood and proceeded to do her hair, albeit, a little fast, but I did it. She also forgot her tea thermos, her gloves, her scarf, and came back into my salon twice to retrieve them. I took a deep sigh when she finally left. I have those days - but I try to leave them at home.

Then I had a teenage boy. First time I met him; first time he met me. His hair was hanging in his eyes and he told me that is how he liked it. Not a big deal since for the past two years that is how high school boys wear their hair. But, as he achieved a new degree of slumping as he sat down, I wondered how a Mom sits on the couch and watches this display of indifference and disrespect. Can I just say to anyone out there who has teenage boys that you don't need to tolerate this. They are YOUNG men. And if you don't agree with that, than let me say this: I am a PERSON, a STRANGER, and OLDER than those teenage boys. Well, maybe its harder to parent them than it seems. But I grew up with a brother who wasn't allowed to slump and was taught to look someone in the eye when speaking to them and it was tolerated to only use one-syllable words to communicate. I also grew up with teenage boys who wore ties on Sundays, used a belt for their pants, and combed their hair OUT of their eyes. And by the way - they turned out to make the best of friends.

Some people would say, "Well, its just the teen years", but why waste those years? Aren't those the years they need to learn to be adults so that when they graduate from college at the age of 21 they don't do things like, "travel to find myself" (no joke, I have met more of them than I can tell you).

K. So, then I had 2 "no-shows", which wasn't that bad because a kind Dentist stopped in to see if he could slip in to my schedule today instead of tomorrow. He also said he just wanted to see me. At 70-something, I am sure he likes the company. He proceeded to tell me about the deep-founded love he had for a woman who worked for him for the past 15 years. He closed his practice and then realized he was in love with her. Problem is: she is married. I almost cried. Apparently, confessing his love he now understands that he doesn't stand a chance. Sad way to live your final years.

I could write a book. No, seriously.

But, the night ended well as I did a practice-run on a soon-to-be-bride. How lovely it is going to be. An evening December wedding... oh the memories. Was it really a year ago now? (We won't get into that right now) But, we swept up curls and tried this and that and finally stood back with pride at the final creation. Fun. Beautiful. The Groom will be happy. ;)

And that was my Thursday.

On to Friday.

Comments

  1. Josh and I were recently discussing the allowances made for young people nowadays. It's so frustrating to carry all the weight of work when there are able bodies being paid who will not take their part of the burden. And don't get me started on manners in public, cell phone etiquette, etc.

    I don't envy your job on days like today. Besides the unpredictable schedule, the ups and downs of emotions spilling from your chair must be tremendous. So glad God made you with good ballasts to keep you sailing steadily!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts