striving for simplicity



"... That we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savoir."




I have never been an expert on living a quiet life. It may always be my struggle in life. (side note: a quiet life should not be translated: a lazy or easy life) It seems there is always something to be doing, planning or accomplishing. This week started with a flurry of emotion and commotion and when everything landed, I found myself in an even quieter place than I started. Oh, but have no fear: the remote control for the TV wasn't far and the music is still on the internet. But, I have found myself in new territory and I will admit I love it: I turn it all off and watch the sun rise with my little bundle sitting on my lap. Quietness.

The bent in our society is to stay busy. Why do we stay busy? Maybe to keep up appearances with the community, maintaing your status at work, too many hobbies, lack of direction, boredom... etc. So many reasons. Some of them aren't even "bad" per say, just... busy. Too busy.

The Bible says, "Be still and know that I am God." Oh, how much I need to know that every day. That peace that passes all understanding is found in HIM, but we won't get that by filling our every moment with music, or errands, or the TV on in the background (one of my greatest weaknesses!). 

I remember this friend of my older sisters. He was cool. He played instruments, had a decent salary, listened to good music, etc. But, he use to say, "I think it would be nice to live in the middle of nowhere with a hobby farm and just live off the land." I thought he was nuts. How could this cool guy think that would be fun?

Now I know. Life is a zoo if you let it become one. 

Maybe we can't move to the middle of nowhere. We still have taxes to pay, insurance to maintain, places to go and the internet moving at the speed of sound -- but, I am challenged a fresh to find peace and quietness in my heart.





Comments

Popular Posts