some more... of, well, the same book.


Today was the first day that I was able to feel like summertime might actually come to the North Country. The breeze swept through the windows, out the back door, and down the sloping, well-groomed hill. The lilac trees are blooming and the smell of blossoms linger near my back door. (I have no idea what kind of flowers they are. Danica could tell you.)

But, nighttime comes and I find myself cleaning up the kitchen and then finding a comfy seat on the couch with my slightly broken laptop. I search for Doberman puppies for my husbands dreams, and I look at real estate further down south for my own dreams.

And within an hour, I put the laptop down and I feel slightly nauseous. Not really physically, but more emotionally. It's not the first time I have felt this. It is a common side-effect of dreamers - it was especially bad in high school. But, over the past 6 months, it has re-entered my life. And it is plain and simple: restlessness. An aching for doing something new; something different.

So, I collect my things - journal and 1,000 gifts - and I go upstairs to my bedroom. I shut the door behind me and get myself comfortable with pillows behind my back and a bowl of airpopped popcorn. I honestly already knew that opening this book would bring some sort of peace to my soul. And it did.

Ann Voskamp is in the middle of telling me about naming. Sounds kind of... simple, right? She thought so too. Naming? What is that suppose to mean? She begins explaining to me that identifying our blessings and naming them is what we were designed to do. Adam was given dominion over the animals and was to name them. God had designed good things - but was it enough that they were just around Adam without being recognized?

Just as a parent wants to see their children learn to thank people for acts of kindness shown towards them, so God wants to see us give recognition for the gifts He has put in our life.

Why? Can't we just live life day to day?

Aaahhh. But, what does that do to our perspective? (I'm telling you, this book is Holy Spirit breathed. I really, truly believe that.) Isn't our perspective everything in life? When we are having a bad day, don't we tend to see every situation through that bad day? When we wake up with the birds chirping and the sun shining, doesn't that alter our disposition?

C.S. Lewis says, "If you think of this world as a place intended simply for our happiness, you find it quite intolerable; think of it as a place of training and correction and it's not so bad."

Interesting, huh?



I have seen this change take place in my life. Well, on the days I embrace this lesson: eucharisteo. Giving thanks; communion with God. It teaches your heart to be joyful in an instant. Instead of holding a grudge when harsh words are spoken, the habit has been formed to soften your heart quicker. Rather than living with restlessness: gratefulness and contentment can be reached through praise. Settling for depression and despair doesn't have to be the only choice - joy through giving thanks can set you free!

I have a confession though: I have only read 1/3 of this book, but I am thinking, if it has impacted me this much with only 1/3, I can't WAIT to see what else God has in store as I read the rest of it!

Comments

Popular Posts